If you’re looking for cutting-edge automotive deisgn, including hybrid, hydrogen and electric tehcnology, look no further than Dwell on Design. The annual showcase takes place at the Los Angeles Convention Center from June 21-23, 2013 featuring 400 exhibitors, 200 speakers, 2,000 products, and an expected attendance of 30,000. The Lincoln Motor Company is the presenting auto sponsor at Dwell on Design 2013 and will feature its advanced vehicles on the show floor as well as in the ride and drive. The Green Car Tour ride and drive is being held from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Friday, June 21 - Saturday, June 22, with vehicles easily accessible right outside the show’s West Hall entry. During these hours, attendees may sign up and receive a wristband at the Green Car Tour canopy located adjacent to the cars, allowing the convenience of driving vehicles at their leisure during the two days the ride and drive is taking place.
Among the high-profile models at the Green Car Tour ride and drive:
• Audi A8 L TDI – Not only is Audi’s 2014 A8 L TDI luxuriously stylish and powerful with its 3.0-liter clean diesel engine, it also leads the way with vehicle-integrated Wi-Fi, navigation with Google Earth, and an advanced electronics suite. Audi connect provides mobile hot spot capability for up to eight Wi-Fi devices so passengers can stay connected to read e-mail, stream music, play games, and surf the web.
• Fiat 500 & 500e – The fun-to-drive Fiat 500 is a trend-setter among its small car competitors with its fashionable Italian design, efficiency, and now a battery powered 500e electric version for extra eco-friendly driving. An iPhone- and Android-compatible Smartphone App manages 500e charging, shows real-time vehicle status, locates nearby charging stations, plans routes, and provides text-message alerts.
• Honda Accord Plug-In – The 2014 Accord Plug-In features fresh styling and an eco-friendly powerplant offering up to 15 miles of all-electric driving before switching to efficient hybrid power. This technology-laden model offers an 8-inch multi-information display, touchscreen audio with Pandora radio interface and read-aloud incoming texts, and voice recognition navigation with real-time traffic to avoid mpg-sapping gridlock.
• Honda FCX Clarity – The limited-production FCX Clarity, a design-forward model featuring zero-emission hydrogen fuel cell power, is Honda’s answer to a hydrogen-powered future. Fuel cell-generated electricity and lithium-ion battery power work in tandem to power the car’s electric motors. Inside are three-dimensional displays of hydrogen consumption, battery levels, motor output, and other key information.
• Honda Fit EV – Featuring a fresh and fun aero-form design, Honda’s battery-powered Fit EV offers zero-emission driving and an EPA gasoline mpg equivalent of 118 MPGe. Its advanced electronics include satellite-linked navigation, interactive remote control, and HondaLink EV telematics with smartphone app. Like the Accord Plug-In and FCX Clarity, the Fit EV is eligible for single-occupant access to California HOV ‘carpool’ lanes.
• Lincoln MKZ Hybrid – Lincoln’s MKZ hybrid is sleek and sensuous with a signature 15 square foot glass roof and one of the largest rooftop openings on any sedan. It offers a 45 mpg combined EPA rating, the best of any luxury vehicle in America. Among its standard features are SYNC with MyLincoln Touch, an 8-inch touch screen, 10.1-inch LCD instrument cluster, and SmartGauge with EcoGuide to aid fuel-efficient driving.
• Mazda CX-5 –Combining an appealing and muscular ‘right-sized’ design with Mazda’s SkyACTIV suite of efficiency-enhancing technologies, the CX-5 crossover SUV offers up to 35 mpg highway fuel efficiency with loads of functionality. Inside, a 5.8-inch touch screen features iPhone, audio, and navigation functions. When a smartphone is connected, SMS messages can be received and shown on the touch screen monitor.
• Mazda6 – Clean-slate thinking was the driving force in the creation of the new 2014 Mazda6. Featuring an award-winning and captivating design, the Mazda6 offers class-leading 38 mpg highway fuel economy while providing the driving excitement expected of Mazda’s ‘zoom-zoom’ philosophy. It features the world’s first capacitor-based brake energy regeneration system and an array of infotainment and connectivity options.